5 Simple Steps to Aligning the Throat Chakra
The 5th chakra (vishuddha) otherwise known as the throat chakra, acts as the body's communication center. It's where you find your voice and speak your truth. It governs the way in which we express ourselves from our unique experiences and perspectives. It is also associated with purity as Vishuddha represents truth.
When the throat chakra is out of alignment, it can lead to a variety of issues throughout the body, mind, and emotions. Ailments like sore throat, pain in the neck, shoulders or jaw, as well as imbalances with the thyroid gland or pituitary gland are all associated with a blocked throat chakra.
On an emotional level, a block may leave one feeling that they are not heard and a sense of futility. Or it could be opposite, which may manifests as domination of conversations. However, when the throat chakra is in balance we can speak with confidence and listen with compassion.
So how do we balance the throat chakra? Here are a several ways:
1. Focus on your breath. Feeling it against the back of your throat as you breath. Lions breath is a particularly effective technique.
2. Work with a mantra ‘Ham’. Sound vibrations are ancient tools believed to tap into currents of energy. Each chakra has a unique mantra or sound. The manta ‘ham’ , when vocalized over and over for about a minute, helps the throat chakra activate.
3. Find time to journal as a means of self-expression.
4. Reiki healing to release stuck energy in the throat.
5. Yoga poses (see below)
Here are two poses for the throat Chakra:
1. Lie on your back in the center of your mat with your knees bent, your legs and feet parallel and hip-distance apart.
2. Press down firmly through both of your feet and inhale to raise your hips and lift away from your mat.