One way to set a New Year intention, is to tap it in. Use EFT tapping to release blocks and imprint your new intention. EFT stands for the Emotional Freedom Techniques and is often referred to as tapping. Like Reiki or acupuncture, tapping works with the energy in your body. Tapping on pressure points or chakras can reduce stress as well as unconscious beliefs that may create road blocks to living. Tapping can have different methodologies. I’m choosing two tapping points for the exercise below.
Here is a 5 minute step-by-step tapping exercise that can help you manifest your New Years intention.
1. Set an intention.
In our Reiki Yoga class we each set an individual intention (or Sankalpa). There were many great examples of heartfelt intentions: joy, abundance, focus, connection and vibrancy to just to name a few.
2. Now, identify an issue you wish to change so you can call in your intention. Find something that blocks you from manifesting your intention. Perhaps, it’s a limiting belief or an action that you want to change. The more specific you are, the more effective the tapping will be.
For example, if your intention for the New Year is to experience more joy, think of a time where you did something counterproductive to experiencing more joy. Perhaps rumination over a certain situation from the past. Perhaps you were overextending yourself at work unnecessarily. Or recall a time you put yourself last and missed an opportunity because of that choice. It’s good to be realistic as not all activities during the day are joyful, BUT you may notice a theme of resistance or thoughts or behaviors that may be sabotaging your joy. This may be a good self-discovery process!
3. Now, while keeping this negative event, pattern or thought in mind, noticing what emotion comes up. Lastly, rate that emotion is on a 0-10 scale.
4. Begin tapping. Take four fingers of your dominant hand and gently tap repeatedly on the top of your head. Repeat the following: “Even though I didn’t exactly prioritize joy last year, I deeply and completely accept myself. Repeat two times.
Move to the heart chakra in the center of your chest. Tap again at the heart chakra and repeat your statement two times.
5. Go to the top of the head again and begin to tap: “And even though I had a tendency to table what brings me joy, I know that was yesterday. Today I am choosing joy.” Go to the chest and repeat tapping and statement.
6. Go to the top of the head and tap “When I choose joy I have more energy and feel more abundant.“ Go to the chest/ heart chakra, tap and repeat statement.
7. Repeat the cycle with an affirmation that you would like to call in: “I am ready to experience joy in my life.” Or “I can’t wait to do the things that bring me joy.”
8. Visualize something joyous and feel into your joy.
In celebration of the New Year we will be taking our intention a step further and using intentions as a theme in class. We will be pulling cards for a gentle guidepost to help us define intentions and using EFT tapping to manifest our intention.
As a certified yoga instructor and reiki therapist based in Seattle, I like to blend a variety of techniques into my practice to ensure that your body feels healthy, strong and balanced. I teach group in-person classes, live virtual group classes and also offer custom private or group sessions on a by request basis. Click Here for Details